The Export Development Board in association with the Sri Lanka Wellness Tourism Association (SLWTA) wish to organize a webinar series, with the title of “Sri Lanka Wellness Week”’ with the objective of educating and inspiring action at a crucial time for Sri Lanka’s wellness tourism sector.
The selected Panellists for this Webinar series are leading experts in the domestic and international wellness and wellness tourism sectors, as well as representing the key stakeholder groups instrumental to demonstrate the sector’s potential and positioning Sri Lanka as a premiere global wellness destination.
Each webinar in the series will be an hour long and the series is designed to be engaging participants, with interactive features, and a guided meditation from a Buddhist monk.
Webinars will be registration-based, with the option to register for individual webinars or the entire series.
- To engage and educate key stakeholders including decision-makers and government officials on the vast potential of Sri Lanka’s wellness tourism industry, as well as the sector’s unique role in the Covid-19 recovery.
- To engage local travel agents and deepen their understanding of the wellness products Sri Lanka has on offer.
- To raise the profile of the EDB and the SLWTA as a driving force in elevating the wellness tourism sector and putting Sri Lanka on the map as a highly sought after wellness destination.
- To collectively decide on a set of short, medium and long-term goals to turn Sri Lanka into a premiere global wellness destination.
List of Panellists for three series of this Webinar are as follows:
- (International) Dr Franz Linser – Managing Director, Linser Hospitality GMBH, Austria;
- (International) Ms. Stella Photi – Founder, Wellbeing Escapes;
- Mr. Hiran Cooray – Chairman, Jetwing Symphony
- Dr Sam Kankanamge – Founder, Sen Wellness;
- Dr. Namal Jayawrdane , Ayurveda consultant physician and Senior Lecturer and Head of the Kayachikithsa Department of Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo.
- (International) Ms. Danny Shaff – Fello Luxury, Travel Agent, UK
- Mr. Shalin Balasuriya – Co-Founder, Spa Ceylon
- Ms. Nilusha Kodituwakku – Managing Director, Ayurva Traveller;
- Mrs. Kimarli Fernando, Chairperson, Sri Lanka Tourism
- Mr. Manoj Gunawardena Regional Head Europe & Americas, Sri Lankan Airlines
- Prof. Lal Chandrasena Director and General Manager, Nawaloka Hospitals PLC,
- Dr Lakith Peiris Managing Director, Hemas Hospital,
- Dr. Palitha Serasinghe Founder and Chairman Setramed, UK
- Dr. Shantha Godagama, Ayurvedic Medical Association, UK
Moderators of three Webinar Series :
- Mr. Shalin Balasuriya – Co-Founder, Spa Ceylon
- Mr. Trevor Reckerman, Chair – SLWTA
- Ms. Niusha Kodithuwakku, Ayurva Travellers
Discussion points :
Session 1: Wellness Tourism: The Solution
- What is wellness tourism? How does it differ from other leisure tourism?
- Current state of Sri Lanka wellness tourism industry: an independent view
- Sri Lanka’s USP as a wellness destination, including indigenous medicine culture, healing properties of Hela Wedakama, and others
- Why the wellness tourism sector is a crown jewel for Sri Lanka, and also its biggest asset in the post-covid recovery
- Opportunities & the future of wellness tourism:
- Change in travel trends, combined with toll of pandemic – tourists are looking for a meaningful experience that will enhance health and wellbeing, as opposed to traditional leisure travelling
- Sustainability and social responsibility are also priorities for wellness tourists. This is particularly the case for the more affluent and well-educated traveller
- European tourists unlikely to have had their summer holiday and by the time travel restrictions are relaxed it could realistically be the start of autumn
- European travellers will likely be seeking destinations which offer warmth and sunshine
Session 2: How can we position Sri Lanka as the next global wellness destination
- Competitor landscape – who are Sri Lanka’s leading competitors?
- Understanding our customers – who are our target wellness travellers?
- Capitalising on Sri Lanka’s unique competitive advantage
- Translating our message for our target markets
Session 3: Beyond Covid-19: Creating an action plan
- Collectively upgrading our standards, skills and services to strengthen the wellness tourism sector
- Compliance with international protocol and guidelines on hygiene etc. while reopening our hotels, resorts and wellness services
- What role can each of the following key stakeholders play to achieve our collective objective:
- Wellness resorts & hotels
- Domestic travel agents
- Export Development Board & SLWTA
- Sri Lanka Tourist Board
- Ministry Health and Indigenous Medicine
- What does a short, medium, and long-term action plan look like?
An Action item has been included to the SRP 2020 of Wellness Tourism to organize a Webinar /awareness campaign with targets different stakeholders national /international in the wellness sector including key markets, consumers and wellness travel agents to discuss on the following:
- How is the wellness industry internationally responding to the Covid situation
- How is wellness tourism transforming/ what are the key concerns of the wellness Travellers
- What are Sri Lankas USPs in this back drop and how does SL harness them
- Promote the session in national and international media through newspapers, social media
- Utilise the service of the SL Missions in overseas in the targets markets to attract the international Audience and promote the series through possible linkages